Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fruit and Vegetable Challenge













As part of my desire to feel my family organic food, a variety of fruit and vegetables, and support local agriculture, I decided to subscribe to a weekly delivery of a fruit and vegetable box from a local independent grocery store. Every Tuesday, a selection of mostly locally grown, organic produce is delivered to my door.

Then comes the challenge: what exactly is [insert name of fruit/vegetable] and how on earth do I incorporate it into our daily meals? I actually had to use google images to determine that one of the vegetables I received this week was baby bok choy. Now, don't judge me too harshly, I grew up in Nebraska!

Anyway, I have accepted this challenge. Tonight, I made a salad with half of the red lettuce. I know, pretty simple, but last night I used the baby bok choy in the ginger beef I made (recipe can be found in Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner). With two heads of baby bok choy, you could hardly see the greens after they cooked down! The bonus of the ginger beef was that I also used some of the fresh ginger I got in my veggie box two weeks ago. Slowly but surely, I'm making my way through it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I juiced a watermelon today, too. I scooped out the flesh of the watermelon, pureed it in the blender and then used a sieve to section out the flesh and seeds. It produced quite a bit of juice. Now, I need to work out a good watermelon smoothie recipe!

My next project: what to do with about 15 pears. I'm thinking of juicing them, but that might prove difficult. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment