Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Life List









As a part of my January soul-searching and resolution-making, I decided to make a life list. A life list is a list of things you want to do during your life. Some people’s lists include grand things that they want to do before they die and some lists include more day-to-day goals. The purpose of the life list is to put you through the exercise of dreaming of the things you want to do with your life and then giving you an incentive to actually go out and do them.

Writing a life list this can be overwhelming, so I decided to break my list down into categories. My categories, which are largely based on the categories devised by Heather of Rookie Moms, are Personal, Romantic, Family Fun, Friends, Outdoors & Exercise, Travel, Earth-Friendly, Food & Drink, Crafty, Memories, Family Work, Home & Garden, and Professional.

Originally, I wanted to write a list of 101 things, but after drafting my list and not coming remotely close to 101 tasks, I abandoned that requirement. What I did decide was that I should constantly evaluate my list. I can add tasks anytime I think of them, and I can eliminate tasks if they no longer interest me. It is my list and I can make my own rules. So can you.

A small sampling of my list includes waking up early every morning for a week to see if it is for me (the fact that I don’t wake up early could be a sign that it isn’t for me, but I still want to try); establish a date night; take my daughter swimming (she is 2, so it is more than time); take a vacation to visit my best friend by myself (Philly, here I come!); run the Shamrock Shuffle 8K; go back to Paris; go to a paperless kitchen; gather family recipes; learn French; order our wedding photos (yes, it will be 7 years in October and we never ordered any wedding photos); assemble a family tree; get a will (yes, I’m an attorney and I’m married to an attorney and we have no will); get my daughter a passport; and plant a flower garden.

I had a great time making my list and I have already started to make progress on achieving some of my goals. I have signed up for the 2010 Shamrock Shuffle and started training. I have started to use more cloth towels in the kitchen so I can reduce the number of paper towels I use. (If you are interested in a paperless kitchen, you should read Simple Mom's suggestions.) After reading about Project 52 Date Nights, my husband and I have agreed to a Saturday night date night after the Wee One goes to bed.

If you have any interest in writing a life list, I encourage you to do so. Just don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t achieve your goals, but don’t be afraid to dream big dreams, either. I would love to hear what you put on your life list.

Photo courtesy of Emily2k/Dreamstime.com.

3 comments:

  1. I've been married 9 years, and still haven't ordered my pictures yet! The only good thing is it was back before everyone went digital so technically I do have pictures. I have 4x6 prints of all the color shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the latest on my life list is starting a vegetable garden this spring. I've ordered my seeds and I can't wait to grow and eat some of my own food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A vegetable garden sounds awesome! I just got my first seed catalog in the mail today and I can't wait to go through it.

    ReplyDelete