Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Date Night 5: Drinks and Appetizers


After Date Night 3 & 4 were both games nights, I thought I needed to do something different this week as a part of Project 52: Date Nights. One of my favorite websites for fun activities is Rookie Moms. Laurie Puhn guest posted on Rookie Moms with some date ideas, including hosting a 2-person Drinks and Appetizer party.

This idea sounded perfect to me. First, one of the activities on my life list is to learn to make a mixed drink. I am not a big drinker and the only mixed drink I have ever made is a margarita, and that always included some sort of pre-made mix, so I decided that didn't count. After looking in the liquor cabinet (we don't really have a liquor cabinet, but I like the sound of it), we had gin and tonic water, so I settled on a gin and tonic.

Next, I had to choose some appetizers. I remember Ina Garten saying in an episode of the Barefoot Contessa that olives are a perfect addition to an appetizer table, so I headed for the olive stand at the grocery store. Even though olives are sold by the pound, I bought the kalamata olives with the pits because it seemed more appropriate than pitted olives. Next, I choose some aged gouda cheese and some sesame rice crackers, and I was finished. You really don't need too many appetizers for two people, especially when those people are going to be enjoying the appetizers at 8 in the evening after they have had dinner.

So I was all ready for Saturday evening, until Saturday evening hit me over the head. For reasons that are not relevant, my husband and I were not too happy with each other by 8 o'clock Saturday night. I was ready to call the whole thing off. Sitting in front of the television and not talking to each other seemed preferable.

The main problem with the TV plan was that we hadn't eaten dinner. (Part of the evening's unpleasantness was our hour-long drive around town trying to decide on a place to go to dinner, with my proposing places and my husband saying no.) My husband convinced me that we should eat the crackers and cheese, if for no other reason that we were hungry and it didn't include cooking. Since I was getting out the crackers and cheese, I decided to put out the olives as well. And since I figured a drink would taste pretty good, I made the gin and tonics.

We sat down at the dining room table and started to eat our appetizers and drink our gin and tonics. Slowly, as we talked, we let go of our anger and ended up having a really nice conversation. This date wasn't exactly what I had planned, but we ended up having a good time. We have so little time to talk and spend time together, I'm glad we didn't waste our Saturday night.

Photo courtesey of Ioana Grecu/Dreamstime.com.

8 comments:

  1. funny how much these dates end up helping us all to communicate better even when we don't feel like communicating. it helps us to remember why we are together in the first place. :) glad to see that you ended up having a good date even it if didn't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with stephanie. What a fun link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed that you still sat down and spent the time together. Good luck next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you still had the date even though you weren't feeling it in the beginning! Have you had garlic stuffed green olives? They are TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounded like fun and trying a few new things. thanks for sharing!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garlic stuffed green olives?! That sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to have to look for those. Oh, my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're doing this. I'll have to share my misadventures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. What a great end to a stressful sounding night. I like that mixed drinks and appies idea!
    ~Shauna {lilduckiearts.com}

    ReplyDelete