Monday, December 20, 2010

24-Hour Boot Camp

Last week, Gretchen Rubin from The Happiness Project suggested that you can conquer a nagging task by dedicating a 24-hour period to getting it done.  She called it the 24-Hour Boot Camp.



This came at the perfect time for me.  I like buying presents.  I really dislike wrapping and mailing presents.    The result was a guest bedroom full of presents that needed to be wrapped and about half of them needed to be packaged to be mailed.

I decided that my 24-hour present wrapping and packaging boot camp would start at nap time on Wednesday.  I cleared off the dining room table and brought out all the presents and wrapping supplies.  I turned on some Christmas music and went to work.  It took me longer than I expected and I thought about stopping a couple of times, but I was determined to finish.  Finally, I had everything wrapped and packed.



I had some child-free time on Thursday morning, so I finished my boot camp then by taking my packages to the post office.  By a terrific stroke of luck, there was no line at the post office and I had a lovely chat with the post office employees.

The 24-hour boot camp worked really well for me.  Every day I dreaded dealing with the wrapping.  Now, I am completely done.  Of course, there are a couple of straggling presents, but I can handle those.  I'll definitely use the 24-hour boot camp in the future.

2 comments:

  1. No line at the post office? 7 yrs and I don't think that I ever saw no line at the post office! ha!

    I like this process and need to commit to trying it in the new year on some big looming projects. Like accepting this baby will come and need clothes and a place to sleep ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, the post office is almost always the worst part of my day. If you are ever in Evanston, I highly recommend the Central St branch PO - they are very friendly.

    ReplyDelete