Monday, December 6, 2010

Make

Day 6:  Make.  What was the last thing you made?  What materials did you use?  Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?  - Gretchen Rubin

I have a confession - I love to make things.  Turn me lose in Michaels or Joann Fabrics, and not only am I in heaven, but, chances are, I will spend quite a bit of money before I'm done.



This past weekend, I made quite a few items including a gingerbread house, a paper wreath for the front door, an embossed thank-you note card, and 2 pairs of leggings for my daughter.  None of these items were made entirely from scratch.  The gingerbread house was pre-baked and assembled (thank you Wilton!); the paper wreath was assembled from a kit I bought at Paper Source, the note card required only a stamp and one of my new toys--the embossing machine; and the leggings are merely women's over-the-knee socks with the feet cut off and a hem sewn on.

I find making things with my hands to be invigorating.  Although I will admit that I don't remember the last time I swore as much as I did when I was trying to put my mother's old sewing machine together.  What I wouldn't give for the user's manual!

There are so many things I want to try to make.  I want to become a really good knitter.  I love knitting, but I need instruction and patience to get better.  I would love to be able to sew, too.  Right now, I have a small, very cheap, crafting sewing machine.  If I can ever figure out how to use my mother's old machine, I would love to take a sewing class.

This post was written in response to the daily prompt at #reverb10, allowing you to reflect on 2010 and manifest what's next.

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh...your Gingerbread house is divine. My mom used to make a whole bunch of these at Christmas. It sounds like you have your hands in quite a few crafty items. Good for you - your creative muse is working overtime! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your edible house ;-D Wow, you are busy~ It is finding the time, but sometimes we just have to do it! Fun post~

    ReplyDelete