Monday, January 31, 2011

Crayon Roll


Crayon Roll, originally uploaded by celabbe.


My husband gave me a sewing machine for Christmas and I was so excited.  I immediately found a project for a crayon roll at Prudent Baby and bought the materials.  Unfortunately, my momentum died with buying the fabric, which is not an uncommon situation for me.  


I'm listening to Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project again and was particularly struck by her suggestion that one should spend out.  By spend out, she means that we should use the items that we have.  We should use our wedding china or that special candle that you are waiting for the perfect occasion to use.  


Although I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to properly complete the crayon roll, I also knew that it did not make any sense to have the fabric, ribbon, and sewing machine just sitting in my house waiting for that magical time when I would feel that my skills were worthy of attempting the project.  Once I started, it took me less than two hours to complete the crayon roll, and those two hours included finding the sewing machine manual to make sure that I was threading the machine properly.  


The Wee One is going to love it for Valentine's Day.

5 comments:

  1. Claire - this is SOOO cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I love it -- especially the fabric! Can you make me one, too :) What kind of machine did you get (new sewing machine envy)?
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a pretty basic Brother sewing machine - 77 stiches (I don't think I'll use more than 5!). It does have a needle threader, which is pretty excited. Oh, and it has the feature where you don't have to bring up the bobbin thread - it does it for you. This was my first project after hemming some of my pants. My legs are short and it is such a joy not to have my pants hanging on the ground, especially in the winter when they get all wet and messy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Very professional looking work. Glad you did it and had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea! my girls would love a crayon roll... I think I'm going to have to try this. AND I even have material sitting around that I could use.
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete