Monday, May 2, 2011

The World We Live In


With the events of the past 24 hours, I find myself unable to share in the exultation that many Americans are feeling. I have been trying to find a voice to my thoughts and feelings, but was unable to do so until hearing these* words:

      I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.


Today, I remember those who lost their lives due to unspeakable evil and those who mourn them. May God bless you and keep you in the palm of his hand. And to those of you who have dedicated your lives to making my world a safer place, thank you.

*Although these words were initially attributed to Martin Luther King, Jr., that appears to have been incorrect. It doesn't really matter who said them, but thank you to whomever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment